Friday, April 18, 2008

Deen

Have you seen one who denies the deen? (religion/judgment)

That is the one who repulses the yateem (orphan)

And urges not the feeding of the miskeen (indigent)

Ah, woe unto the musalleen (those who pray)

Who, of their prayers, are saahoon (unmindful)

Who want to be yuraaoon [seen (at prayer)]

Yet refuse al-maaoon (small kindnessess / neighbourly needs).

----
Tried a different way of translation: keeping the last word in the original to preserve the rhyme and give a sense of how lyrical the original sounds.
Source: any guesses?! (not my usual area of 'expertise')

4 comments:

Vik said...

[I had two options, to google or to guess. I thought of going about it alphabetically. But let me not write it, maybe somebody else would be willing to guess.]

I like this new form of translation you've come up with. It gives a better insight into the original.

Nitin Sinha said...

Hi Siyaah,

I came across your blog through sadia's blog.

I have a request. I wish to get in touch with Sadia (i mean through email); I have composed one of her poems and seek her suggestion and approval. I have left comments on her blog, but it seems she is quite irregular these days. If you have her email idea, could you pleaase kindly pass on that to me, of course with her permission. I don't know of any other way to get in contact with her except leaving comments on her blog, which it seems is not one of the best and rapid ways to get in touch.

Wishes, Nitin

Sadia said...

it sounds like the Quran (not my area of expertise either)

Siyaah said...

Vik: translation is a constant struggle...just trying out new things.

Nitin: thanks for visiting, i hope your issue is resolved.

Illusionist: It is actually part of the Quran- the kind of verses that seem to be ignored by everyone. I think these simple words capture the essence better than a thousand rules and guidelines.