Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Aaj yoon mauj dar mauj gham tham gaya: Faiz

Aaj yoon mauj dar mauj gham tham gaya
Is tarah ghamzadon ko qaraar aa gaya
Jaise khushboo-e-zulf-e-bahaar aa gayi
Jaise paighaam-e-deedaar-e-yaar aa gaya...

[by Faiz Ahmed Faiz]

The entire ghazal is mesmerizing. My favorite rendition, somewhat in an unorthodox style, is the Muzaffar Ali composition sung by Sukhwinder Singh...

Faiz has been translated well by others, so I generally don't translate him here...(even the youtube video below has a translation)

3 comments:

windwheel said...

You have a truly lovely site. At first I couldn't get my head around the Sukhwinder Singh rendition of this- but it's actually highly intelligent. A friend of mine is a Prof of Urdu and reported somewhat dejectedly on their recent Faiz fest. It was as though time had stood still from the critical point of view.
I'm a big fan of Prof.S.R. Faruqi's approach- the way he rehabilitated Ghalib and Mir- and have shifted from writing essentially English sonnets in Urdu to writing Urdu ghazals in English. My contention, a lonely one, is that the Ghazal tradition is actually a heavy duty branch of Speculative Metaphysics rather than 'wine, whining, and verbiage'. There's an essay on translating Ghalib on my site I'd welcome your (rude) comments on.
Once again, my thanks for the hospitality (if it was not a trespass) on your truly captivating site.

Siyaah said...

Windwheel,

Thanks for your kind words - honored to have you visit and see your comment. You have very interesting thoughts on your sites too. I'm intrigued by what you mentioned about Prof. Faruqi and will check him out...and your contention about the ghazal tradition is intriguing as well...I do hope you share more here as you find time and help us learn more...

Sandy Dhillon said...

👌👌👌