Saturday, September 09, 2006

From Childhood's Hour: Alone

On hindsight, I notice that Pirzada Qasim's self-critique and Jigar Moradabadi's self description that I posted relate deeply to each other. Perhaps these choices were a natural outgrowth of the state of my mind in the last few days. While one accuses the self of being strange, the other accepts and retorts by saying- indeed, he is by nature a poet.

Why do poetry and 'strangeness' go hand in hand?

I am tempted to note my favorite lines by a poet from another dimension, that perhaps relate to this...

Alone
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were - I have not seen
- as others saw.
[by Edgar Allan Poe]


Thoughts echoed in more contemporary times in a different voice: Javed Akhtar, recognized for his scripts, dialogues, and popular lyrics, has tried reverting to his poetic heritage, sometimes with interesting results.

Hum to bachpan mein bhi akele the,
Sirf dil ki gali mein khele the.

Alone was I, even in childhood,
The lanes of the heart, were my only playground.
[Translated by Siyaah]

2 comments:

vibhav said...

"Hum to bachpan mein bhi akele the,
Sirf dil ki gali mein khele the."

Found it wonderful the way the two images of childhood and loneliness have been combined in this couplet, and the way both the ideas are present in both the lines.

Siyaah said...

V: you have really brought out the reason why these lines have such an impact...sometimes inconsistent poets have a way of coming up with such gems, and that's why I recorded it here (the entire poem is not that great though).