Thursday, September 07, 2006

Shaayar-e-Fitrat Hoon Main

I've been thinking about which Jigar Moradabadi poem I should showcase and interpret first...I like quite a few.

Today a friend whom I haven't met in a few years called me up...we talked of life's blackening canvas, of the innumerable strands of threads in life needing attention, resolution. "All strands are one", he said. "A tangled up string of thread needs one point of initiation to resolve, and the entire bundle resolves magically...". It sounded like a sufistic metaphor and solution to life.

Unless of course we unresolve it once again...out of choice, as Jigar [Couplet 4 below]. Which brings me to what is perhaps Jigar's signature ghazal. I will transliterate my favorite couplets from Urdu here:

Shaayar-e-fitrat hoon main: By nature a poet...

Shaayar-e-fitrat hoon main, jab fikr farmaataa hoon main,
rooh ban kar zarre-zarre mein samaa jaataa hoon main.

Aake tujh bin is tarah ai dost ghabraataa hoon main,
jaise har sheh mein kisi sheh ki kamin paataa hoon main.

Haae ri majbooriyaan, tark-e-mohabbat ke liye,
mujh ko samjhaate hain wo aur un ko samjhaataa hoon main.

Meri himmat dekhna, meri tabiyat dekhna,
jo sulajh jaati hai gutthi phir se uljhaataa hoon main. [4]

Waah re shauq-e-shahaadat, ku-e-qaatil ki taraf,
gun-gunaata, raqs karta, jhoomta jaataa hoon main

Teri mehfil tere jalwe, phir taqaaza kya zaroor,
le utha jaata hoon zaalim, le chala jaataa hoon main.

Ek dil hai aur toofaan-e-hawaadis ai Jigar,
ek sheeshaa hai ke har patthar se takraataa hoon main.
---
Listen to this ghazal sung beautifully by Vinod Sehgal here...and wonder, like me why Vinod isn't more popular as a ghazal singer.

---
I'll attempt an interpretation and translation of these couplets soon...

9 comments:

Phoenix said...

Hey!
you made my morning you know that!!
Just went through all you posts...and yeah, before I forget, thankx for dropping by onmyblog...

This one is so beautiful..thanxxxxxxxx for posting the link to hear the music...I actualyl slept last night listening to afew ghazals...and this morning this blog has made my day..
amazing poetry, and i must appreciate your patience in translating them so well. Tell me, are yopu a studentof poetry or bilingualism?

On this post...
I liked this one the best
Meri himmat dekhna, meri tabiyat dekhna,
jo sulajh jaati hai gutthi phir se uljhaataa hoon main


and am tempted to add..

Aashiq hoon main unka magar, meri fitrat dekhna
Nazrein jhuka lete hain woh, aur sharmata hoon main
Dooriyon se ladta hoon main, nazdeek jaane ko magar
Paas jab aate hain woh, kyon sehem jaata hoon main

Siyaah said...

[phoenix]
Well...to know that it made your morning makes my day! You're welcome.

Am glad you followed your temptation and added your creative lines that flow well...Jigar might have enjoyed this...

Interestingly, you might not have known, but Jigar said something a bit similar!

Dekhna us ishq ki ye turfaa-kaari dekhna
Wo jafaa karte hain mujh par aur sharmaataa hoon main.

[I left out a few couplets from the entire ghazal...I think I'll post those too with translations once I'm done with the others]

Anonymous said...

aadaab arz hai!

Yes, Vinod Sehgal has sung it well. I would look forward towards your translation.

hazaar baar zamaana idhar se guzraa hai
nayii nayii sii hai kuch terii rah-guzar phir bhii

Mohib

Siyaah said...

[mohib]
thanks for the couplet...watch for it coming here soon...one of my fav ghazals.

Anonymous said...

mashallah

rajnish said...

Well as they say dil se dil ko raah hoti hai and I accidently discovered your blog.You have some of the best material on Urdu poetry on the net.Keep it up.
I am a novice in comparison but if you wish pls check out my blog at aahang.wordpress.com
For the love of urdu poetry ...Cheers !

SATYAANVESHI said...

Yeah, even I thought of the same thing when I heard "Shaam-e-gham kuchh us nigah-e-naaz" by him.

@Phoenix:
"Aashiq hoon main unka magar, meri fitrat dekhna
Nazrein jhuka lete hain woh, aur sharmata hoon main"

is heart-touching. You write beautifully.

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Hi...hit upon your blog while trying to locate the lyrics of 'shaayar-e-fitrat'...one of my favourites in 'kahkashan'... yes, vinod sehgal has sung it wonderfully...this search was, in fact, spurred on by an article on Vinod Sehgal in the recent issue of OPEN...such a wonderful talent and the industry has no place for him... brought tears to my eyes and went and re-listened to 'shayar-e-fitrat'...and am gungunao-ing the ghazal... the article can be read here http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/art-culture/the-private-life-of-vinod-sehgal and thanks for hosting this wonderful blog...

Jayasrinivasa Rao

Siyaah said...

Thanks for visiting and sharing, Winding River!